Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A Friend for the World's Loneliest Bachelor

Scientists are optimistic that they may find a mate for the world's rarest living creature.

Lonesome George is the last known survivor of the giant tortoises of Pinta Island in the Galapagos. Discovered in 1972, and now 80 years old, George has been cared for at the Charles Darwin research station on Santa Cruz Island,while researchers have sought a female counterpart and mate that could help to save the species. They are now hopeful of locating one.

Scientists are reporting that genetic testing on nearby Isabella Island has revealed a 30 year old specimen that is a genetic cross between a native Isabella Island female and another male of George's Pinta species. The finding has boosted hope that a female may be found as well, or that selective breeding of mixed specimens could be used to restore the species.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Odiyya,
Hi,

First, I love your blog and I think what you're doing is great. Second, I thought you'd be interested in a campaign I've launched. I aim to convince 1000 organizations to introduce their environmental friendly initiatives for 2008 on my site(http://www.1000greenlogos.com). And, I've given myself until the end of 2007 to finish it. This has already caused a
little buzz in the blog world. If you think it's a worthy project, I'd appreciate if you can help me get the word out on your popular blog. Also, if you know any companies that would be interested to promote their environmental
plans, please let me know.

Thanks so much,
Mike

WindWhisperer said...

So I guess the "world's loneliest bachelor" is about to become the "world's luckiest bachelor".