Monday, July 21, 2008

An Accidental Trip to Thailand

It was meant to be a side trip to the Philippines where a good friend is doing anthropological research in a traditional Kalinga Valley village. Unfortunately, I let myself get bluffed out by the weather and never made it.

My arrival date earlier this month in Manila ended up being the day after a second of two typhoons rolled through the country. Conditions on the newsreel looked pretty tenuous and I opted to disembark at our stop-over in Bangkok rather than risk being stranded in Manila for two weeks. As it turns out, the route north to the village was fine, much to my disappointment.

Sooooo, I tried to go to the Philippines and all I got were these stunning photos of Thailand....


5 comments:

Invisible G. said...

Yowza, brought back tons of memories for me. Thailand was both life changing and bittersweet for me. The Sangsom Whiskey was pretty nice too :) Glad you're back buddy!

E. R. Dunhill said...

...but I am a wily stranger.

Odiyya said...

maybe there is a good type of wily...

Omar said...

Stunning photos indeed! You should visit Uganda; it's just as stunning and beautiful.

Odiyya said...

Thanks Omar. I was in Uganda in November, but unfortunately my the less than stunning camera that i had at that point let me down a bit. You're right, it is gorgeous. thank goodness for memory.